Youtube Sonic TAS community

Impossible is possible

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-01 12:07:42

feeuzz22
administrator

TAS philosophy

ok, here is the idea: this thread is to talk about all you want, and mainly about TASers (oh, i'm not sure it's a good idea...)

So I noticed one thing:

there are 5 types of TASers:

First: The glitch finders: there are not interrested in optimization, but they beat everybody with what they found/
         For example: S3Kglitches, or DMTM a very very good glitch finder, but have to work on optimization maybe...

Second: The optimizers: there never find glitches and are forced to use "already-finded glitch" to keep their name of TASer, but often, they are good at optimization/
         For example: Me (i hope smile

Third: The "glitch optimizers": there are glith finders, andd optimizers at the same time, they are able to beat the two first group of TASer, almost without difficulty.../
         For example: WST, or Qwerty, very good TASers, i hope they will reach the next rank....

Fourth: The "TAS Masters": these guys are definitely surhumans... nothing to say.
         For example: Agalr, or MarzoJr, how they do? i don't know...

Fifth: The beginners (very beginners): they are very interrested in TASing but they finish levels  just a little better than a non-TASer (who done his run out of TAS)/
         For example: Joseph, i hope you will get better and better...

Last edited by feeuzz22 (2013-04-01 12:10:11)

Sonic is the fastest thing alive, and Hyper Sonic is the fastest thing.

#2 2013-04-01 12:24:57

WST
administrator
Website

Re: TAS philosophy

Hmm, nice idea. I almost agree, but I want to add something. I noticed that some people easilly become very skilled very quickly. If you could notice, marzojr became an expert TASer almost immediately after start. I read somewhere that he became a TASer after watching Nitsuja’s run on Youtube, which inspired him. What’s the secret of so fast talent grow? The secret as simple: he’s a romhacker. He knows how the game works from inside. There is also another category of people who can become pro tasers very quickly: realtime speedrunners. Why? Because they already have speedrunning experience, and already know exactly what to to, what route to take, what glitch to abuse and so on. People who are not in these 2 groups (speedrunners and IT professionals) grow up in their TAS skills way longer. But, there is still a chance for them to become good at TASing, and the chance is patience. Trying the same again and again. So, not all beginners are same. Joseph has no RTS skill and, of course, no programming/math skill. That’s why it will be harder for him, and only his interest, real interest and curiousity can lead him to becoming a real TASer.

Let’s talk about the hard-to-solve problems of TASing. For me the most significant problem of last days is taking certain pixel/subpixel position as quickly as possible. I make a big jump, and I should land exactly at certain point (10 subpixels more or less will break my efforts into pieces). I already know the „perfect” position for pulling off the trick, but how to reach it as fast as possible? Till now I still loose a few frames for heavy subpixel management there, and that’s the most problematic part of one of my TASes. If I find a way to take the perfect position without having to waste frames, it would be an improvement of my „unimproveable” run.

What’s the hard things in TASing for you, feeuzz, Qwerty?

Sonic the EDGEhog has been obsoleted by Amy the LTEhog ©

#3 2013-04-05 12:13:15

WST
administrator
Website

I will not help Joseph anymore.
He does not want to learn at all.
He wants to make good TASes, but does not want to learn anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTgGZAf3Rk

#4 2013-06-23 19:22:28

WST
administrator
Website

Friends, it seems that we got a new TAS master smile
I do not have any definition of how he managed to beat the 2 masters other than that he became one of them

tongue

#5 2013-08-06 03:01:06

KPM
Website

Who's the new master? Also I'd love to be a Tails Expert he's awesome big_smile I'll do some tails in sonic 3 TASes

Sonic IS the fastest thing alive!

私は他のすべてのテーザーは素晴らしいおかしく午前

#6 2013-10-02 20:59:36

WST
administrator
Website

Tails is not the best choice for becoming an expert with, but I am happy about your choice, Tails is an adorable character.
The reason making me think that Tails is not the best is that he is certainly the hardest character for optimizing moves. His flight trajectory is incredibly hard to manipulate, and also it needs a lot of practice and talent to see the level map and say where the flight can be abused to save time.

Board footer